Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday My Beautiful "Baby" Girl . . .


I sit here reflecting back on the past 26 years, amazed at how fast they've flown by, filled with joy at the woman you are and the potential for all the things you can still do with your life, and sadness at time that has passed us by with wasted moments that could have been filled with memories of laughter and joy. This isn't about regret though, this is about happiness and celebration. Today I celebrate one of my biggest blessings in my life - the day you, my amazing daughter entered my life and filled an empty space in my heart that was meant just for you.

I know you have heard this story each year since you are born, but now it's pretty much a tradition right? So here you go . . . since you aren't here for me to say it in person I'll put it out there for EVERYONE to share! Do you have your coffee?

March 1, 1984 started out as a regular day in the life of a 19 year old mother-to-be. First Meme (my mom to those of you who don't know her) was taking me to my weekly check-up with the doctor since we were getting close to your due date, to be followed by a big juicy burger & ice cream sundae at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. I loved that place! My tummy was gurgling in anticipation (ok it was always gurgling in anticipation of SOME sort of food, but I was feeding a GIANT baby and always hungry!) and I was impatient for my appointment to be over. Nobody looks forward to these appointments anyway - at least if they are normal they don't look forward to them - but I was hungry, it was lunch time and I wanted it to be done. I waddled into the doctor's office, hit the bathroom first thing (those reading this who have been pregnant get this part completely!) and wandered in to see the doc when my name was called. He did his exam - oh joy - and looked up at me and said "Are you in any pain?" No, no pain. "Discomfort then?" Um . . . no. I'm fine. Hungry, but fine. He paused and took a second look-see at what was going on down yonder and asked me again if I was in ANY discomfort - cramping, aching, back pain? Um. NO I'm hungry! I had to go to the bathroom when I got here, went, discomfort gone. NOW it was time for lunch. Well, he busted that joyous balloon of happiness right quick.

I was, apparently, in labor and didn't know it. At 6 cms dilation the doctor made a dictatorial announcement that this hungry mama was NOT going to be going out to eat, but was going straight to the hospital to deliver you! I wasn't thrilled with this announcement and my stomach gave a bellow at the doc for good measure. He wasn't swayed from his decision and even went so far as to call Meme in to let her know, in no uncertain terms, to take me straight to the hospital and not to let me to convince her to take me to lunch first. DRAT! Foiled again! I wasn't in pain, I hadn't broken my water! I had plenty of time! Well apparently not. This was 12:05 pm, and you made your joyous, somewhat noisy appearance at 5:17 pm that afternoon. I discovered three things during my time between the doctors office and the moment they placed you into my arms, all 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches of you . . . 1) ice chips are NOT filling . . . . 2) babies come in their own time no matter what Mama wants . . . 3) you were the most beautiful, precious creature to ever enter this world and obviously one of God's most exquisite works of art. The same holds true today.

Every day as your mother has been an adventure, a blessing, and even the frustration of the teen years were worth every moment. I am honored to have been chosen to be your Mom. I love you K. I love you with all of my heart and I ache that we cannot be together on the day of your birth, but know that all day long - as you are every single day - you are in my mind, in my heart and my every thought will be with you today. May you be filled with the joy that you deserve to be filled with on your special day and may God grant you peace in your heart for the coming year and all the years yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment