Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sometimes It's The Simplest Things That Make Us Smile


Today was a good day. I'm still tired, I'm still stressed over the pending move and I'm still missing my daughter, but in spite of all that I have to say that today was a good day. My boss's daughter is 9 years old. Since she was 4 we've had a couple days a year that we have a baking date - and today was one of them. My boss brought all the ingredients to work for a fresh peach crisp, and together SC and I baked the office a wonderful, summer scented treat. With the aroma of peaches and cinnamon filling the air, we measured, giggled, discussed the importance of fractions (she IS at that age) to baking, and nibbled at bits of peach with the ripe juice dripping on our fingers. When we shared the treat with the office staff, together we shared the glory of a job well done, and through it all I felt a sense of pride and satisfaction at sharing something I love doing with a little girl who so obviously loves learning to do it as well.

Grab a moment of summer as the days fly by, and enjoy the fruits of the season, both literally and figuratively. Steal a few moments with a child who views the world with joy and awe, and for just a moment become a child again. It makes for a truly good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment