Friday, July 6, 2012

Milestones and Goals . . .

When my son was about 10 years old he announced that some day he was going to be a policeman. Many boys say this, and he, like so many other children, changed his mind about what he wanted to be when he grew up many times. At one point he wanted to be a cowboy (that one was pretty shortlived), then a stuntman (with his ability to hurt himself tripping over air, that one was ill-advised), and of course "a cop". He'd go back and forth and change his future dreams on a whim, but it always came back to wanting to be a policeman. Most children make announcements of this sort and as life goes on they go on to either more easily achievable dreams, or reduce their wishes to something that isn't anywhere near the grandiose schemes of youth. I'm sure many of us sit down at night and wonder where all of our dreams for the future went and how we ended up where we are. Most children though, aren't my son. When he was 12 he created a plan of action for achieving a position in law enforcement. He found out he could be on the search and rescue team when he turned 14 . . . so he did! He was a team leader by the time he was 15, and training other new search team members. He took a course through school in fire and law enforcement, which resulted in becoming a Sheriff's Cadet by the time he was 16. When he was 17 he signed up to join the USCG Reserves, and 3 days after he turned 18 he was leaving for basic training - with Mom sobbing hysterically the whole time. The following few years saw him home from basic, off to A-School, and on 3 deployments around the globe. When he returned from his last deployment he applied and tested for a position on a small town police department, and was hired! On June 20th, 2012 my son achieved his goal. . . he graduated 3rd in his class from the police academy!!! We can all take a page from this young man's book. He set a goal for himself, he created a plan, and he carried out that plan to achieve his dreams. I'm so proud of him, and a part of me is envious. I was one of those people who had big dreams, but that's all they really were. . . they didn't become goals to be carried out. On second thought, I did achieve my goal. I raised two productive people from birth to adulthood, and I gave to the world some amazing people who will do amazing things, each in their own way. I thought I wanted more out of life, but really, I think I'm fine with what I have. I have love, I have family, I have friends, and I see my son reaching his goals and carrying out his dreams. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment