Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Day for Thanks . . . A Day for Reflection . . . A Day to Prepare for Tomorrow . . .


I'm standing at the end of my kitchen counter, writing this while I take a bit of a break, with the trappings of tonights meal all around me. The turkey is happily roasting in one roast pan, the ham in another. The cranberry sauce is cooling in a bowl, and the rolls are rising. Pies are stacked on a dessert tower and the rest of the meal is on the way to being prepared. This is the time of year I roll into full kitchen mode; the planning, preparation and enjoyment of the food, family gathered around the table together enjoying conversation and going a little too far with seconds . . . but it's also a time to remember why we are here in the first place.

So many years ago the pilgrims boarded ships and headed out on the treacherous journey across the Atlantic, fleeing from religious persecution and oppression, determined to worship God as they saw fit and braving the unknown to be able to do so. Since that time wars have been fought and won for this freedom, and we have enjoyed it for a very long time. But sit up, look around, pay attention to what is going on around you. If you're wearing blinders, take them off! If you've stuffed the cotton of ignorant bliss into your ears, remove it! The very freedoms so many have fought so valiantly for are being stripped from us one by one. We are no longer able to say Merry Christmas in the workplace without recrimination, we can no longer speak God's name without being repressed. Our children cannot pray in school without punishment, and don't even THINK about carrying your Bible with you into a government building! The environmental do-gooders spread the lies of global warming and in so doing repress the freedoms to live on our own land the way we see fit, our own government has grown to nightmare proportions and never forget for a second that no matter where you go or what you do, Big Brother is watching. It's only going to get worse if God fearing, freedom loving Americans don't get to their feet and say NO MORE! NO MORE will we take the foot of tyranny on our throats, for we have lived in the land of the free as a God-fearing nation for all of these years and we are taking our country back! It's coming, don't deny it for a second or you'll get caught in the chaos unprepared.

For today though, I will put aside my fears for our country, the loss of our freedoms, and I will thank God in heaven for my family, my friends, my home and my job. I will thank God for the food He provided for our table and my wonderful husband who is helping me to prepare it, and for the family who will be gathered around our table today to share it with us. I will appreciate the smells of the food cooking, the sound of laughter and conversation, and the sight of my dog so pathetically eyeing the counter, hoping something will fall into her path. This is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Eat, drink and enjoy your freedoms today, for tomorrow we know not what may be knocking at the door of our lives. Pass the cranberries please . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment